It’s hard to sort out which of the latest and greatest ‘it’ foods are actually good for us – but quinoa is definitely one of them. One of the benefits of quinoa is that it serves as the carbohydrate in your meal, but it also contains some protein. Protein helps you to feel full, is important for building of muscle and all other protein containing tissues, and it requires about 20% more calories for your body to break it down (compared to carbs or fat eaten). Quinoa also contains some fiber, which helps you to feel full; and, it has a low glycemic index. Quinoa is also gluten free, making it a great choice for people who have Celiac disease.
Here is a great way to enjoy quinoa – trick your tastebuds into thinking that you are eating pizza, at a fraction of the calories and with a much greater nutritional punch! I have modified this recipe to use two egg whites instead of an egg, and I have replaced the fat free mozza cheese with low fat, as fat free can be hard to find. I have recalculated the nutritional info (below) based on these changes.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- pinch of salt
- pasta or pizza sauce for dipping
1. Cook quinoa as per package directions (exact cooking instructions vary depending on the type or brand of quinoa).
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all ingredients in a bowl, except for the pasta/pizza sauce.
3. Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Scoop 1 heaping tablespoon of the mixture into each muffin tin.
4. Bake for 15-20 minuts and let cool.
NUTRITIONAL INFO – note that this does NOT include the tomato/pizza sauce, as it totally depends which kind you choose. I like Prego pasta sauce personally!
Makes 2 servings, with about 6 Pizza Bites per serving.
PER SERVING: approximately 290 cal, 32g carb, 19g protein, 9g fat
Thanks to my bestie Deb for pointing out this recipe!
Dr Sue Pedersen www.drsue.ca © 2013
Follow me on Twitter for daily tips! @drsuepedersen