Here’s a delectable recipe to help you bring in 2015 in healthy style. These packets of goodness make a super mid morning snack, and are great to help fuel winter mountain adventures! I cut back from the original recipe on the walnuts; they could be cut down further to further drop the calorie and fat count, but at 1/2 cup in the recipe, you get a healthy dose of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats (the ‘good fats’) in one serving. Also, be sure to use no sugar added jam – at 60% less calories than regular jam, it’s really the way to go!
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup no sugar added apricot jam
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon (to taste)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, crushed
- pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, walnuts, and salt. Mix very well.
3. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, apricot jam, vanilla, and canola oil. Mix well. Add zucchini and mix again.
4. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until all are moistened. Don’t over mix!
5. Spoon the mixture into a 12 muffin tin prepared with non stick spray. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing.
Makes 12 muffins. Per muffin (approx):
- calories: 145
- protein: 3.6g
- carbs: 13.5g
- fat: 7.6g
Kudos to Alternatives Natural Food Market in Oakville, Ontario for the original recipe!
Follow me on twitter! @drsuepedersen