Mmmm… I remember my first taste of tortilla soup in a restaurant in Mexico…. and from there, it was love. However, many of the recipes out there are laden with way more calories than is necessary to make a delicious soup, and some have ingredients that are hard to find in many countries. Here’s a great recipe that I’ve compiled that is sure to satisfy, is easy to make (hello slow cooker!!), and is easy on the calories.
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 4oz can green chile peppers, chopped – or – 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups cooked black beans (or canned, drained)
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tsp cumin (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp chili powder (or more, to taste)
- 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro (or more, to taste)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 16 tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or cheddar)
- 1 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- hot sauce (to taste)
1. Throw everything except for the cilantro, lemon juice, cheese, tortillas, hot sauce, and sour cream into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 6-8 hours.
2. Remove chicken breast, shred, return to slow cooker, and stir.
3. Stir in lemon juice. Add additional chili powder or cumin if you think it needs it.
4 . Ladle into a soup bowl to serve. Sprinkle with two crushed tortilla chips, cilantro, and 1/8 of the cheese. Drizzle or dollop sour cream on top. Add hot sauce (or not) to individual taste. You could add a sliver of avocado – not accounted for in nutrition here.
Makes 8 servings. Per serving:
thanks to theadventurebite.com for the delicious photo!
Follow me on twitter! @drsuepedersen
www.drsue.ca © 2018