Yes, even spaghetti can be done in a healthy way. Oil free, with extra lean ground beef and a portion of multigrain noodles, and you’re off to the races!! I was inspired by my friends in Calgary and Switzerland to produce this delicious recipe. The trick to making this taste fabulous are to use fresh basil and garlic. A small portion of red wine (50 calories’ worth, to be exact) makes it taste totally gourmet.
- 700g extra lean ground beef
- Sone large can of diced tomato (28 oz)
- one can tomato paste, sugar free (5.5 oz)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- one handful fresh basil, chopped
- dried oregano, 1 tbsp or to taste
- one small zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 red, orange, or yellow pepper, chopped
- 4-5 packs Splenda (1g each), to taste
- ground pepper to taste
Noodles: Catelli Healthy Harvest Multigrain Spaghetti (375g box)
1. Cook ground beef with onion and garlic in a medium pot, until the beef is completely cooked through and brown. Add tomato and tomato paste and simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer 15-20 minutes, to allow flavors to mix. If you like crispier veggies, try adding them in later – eg 10 minutes before simmering is complete.
2. For 2 people, cook 1/4 of the box of noodles according to package directions while the sauce is a simmerin’!
The sauce as above provides SIX servings (Who doesn’t love leftovers? I made two family members happy with this one on different nights this week!) PER serving: 220 cal, 23g protein
One serving of noodles, as above (1/8 box or 42g dry): 150 cal, 5g protein, 4.5g fiber
Kraft Lite Parmesan (grated): add one tbsp on top for taste – 22 cal, 2.5g protein
TOTAL: If you ladle one serving of sauce over the portion of noodles above, with 1 tbsp of parmesan: just under 400 calories, and 30g of protein!!
Dr. Sue © 2010 www.drsue.ca email@example.com