Love this slow cooker permutation of chicken marinara – SkinnyMom wins the award for an awesomely healthy recipe that didn’t need any ‘doctoring’ to make it DrSue.ca approved. Imagine how much you’ll love coming home from work, cracking open the front door to find the delicious scent of your dinner wafting out to great you….
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 tomatoes, chopped or one 14.5-ounce can low-sodium tomatoes, drained
- 4 medium ribs celery, diced (1 cup)
- 2 small zucchini, diced (2 cups)
- 1 bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- One 18-ounce jar low-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker; add the garlic, tomatoes, celery, zucchini, and pepper.
- Pour the marinara sauce over all, and sprinkle the basil and thyme on top.
- Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 6 to 8 hours (make sure the chicken is cooked through!).
- Before serving, shred the chicken with a fork.
Makes 8 servings. Nutritional Info per serving (approximate):
- calories: 172
- fat: 3.6g
- protein: 27g
- carbs: 7g
Follow me on twitter: @drsuepedersen