Bundle up, it’s winter! (at least in our part of the world!). A bowl of soup is a wonderful way to warm up after coming in from the cold. Here’s a nutrition-packed, tasty and satisfying recipe that is sure to please. This is from my all time favourite recipe ladies, Canada’s very own Janet and Greta Podleski of Crazy Plates and Looneyspoons fame!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup each chopped onions, red bell pepper, and carrots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 cups low fat beef broth
- 1 cup tomato soup
- 2 cans (19 oz each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1tbsp each lemon juice and brown sugar
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1tsp each chili powder, ground cumin, and Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- 2 tbsp chopped, fresh cilantro
1. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onions, red pepper, carrots, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook and stir for 5 mins, until veggies begin to soften. Add all remaining ingredients, except sour cream and cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
2. Transfer soup to a blender or food processor in batches, and puree until smooth. Return to pot. Top each bowl of soup with a tbsp of sour cream. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
Makes 6 servings. Per serving:
- 161 cal
- 3.5g fat
- 33.9g carb
- 11.3g protein
Follow me on twitter! @drsuepedersen
www.drsue.ca © 2019