To address a lack of appropriate, scientific and clinically-based care, Obesity Care Week is happening, starting today!
Why do we need an Obesity Care Week? For too long, people with obesity have been stigmatized, preventing the effective treatment of the disease. Half of people with obesity report they have never had a conversation about their weight with a healthcare professional. The conversation about weight between healthcare providers and their patients is avoided for many reasons, including healthcare provider-based weight bias and a lack of knowledge regarding obesity’s impact on health.
The Vision: To create a society that understands, respects and accepts the complexities of obesity and values science and clinically-based care.
Obesity Care Week (OCW) aims to change the way society cares about obesity by:
- Providing science and clinically-based education on obesity
- Advocating for access to affordable and comprehensive care
What can you do to help?
- promote awareness of Obesity Care Week on social media
- share the voice of your organization in supporting OCW
- use the media to get the word out about OCW!
- click this link for more on these and other suggestions
You can sign up for OCW alerts here.
Click here for a great list of resources for people who struggle with weight, from fact sheets to treatment options to so much more!
Follow me on twitter! @drsuepedersen
www.drsue.ca © 2020